Thursday, September 19, 2013

CC Merging and Mod Folder

As part of the upcoming downloads and to answer some e-mailed questions on third party content or Custom Content or CC I have decided to post this sort of tutorial.  I came about CC merging using s3pe by chance, since I was having a lot of problems with lagging and bad CC.  For a solution on how to be able to enjoy my game and not having to reinstall almost every single time something went wrong I came across some really good information, which I shared with my friends and now I am sharing with you-all.
I will assume that all of you have a Mod folder and is where you keep your Sims 3 package files.  For those of you that don't here is where it should be at:
Number one arrow shows the Folder and number 2 the location in your computer.
Now, your mod folder must contain a resource file.  The resource file must be set up to read .dbc files or cache files, just like the default Cache folder that installs with the game.  Why?  dbc files compress your package files into smaller files in which they are combined together using s3pe, this makes it easier for the game engine to read and makes it go a lot faster, avoiding lags and stalls, specially while in CAS or Build-Buy.
You will need the s3pe tool to combine you packages into .dbc files. The tool may be downloaded here:

How do you use it?  I read a lot of tutorials including the one at the download site and found that this one was the esiest to follow and the best.  Tutorial on s3pe here:

Follow the tutorial and its hints and you will not have any problems, specially the one about not combining patterns with other packages.  
O.K, Now you have s3pe and are an expert in how to use it!  Now that most of your packages are combined into smaller and faster .dbc files let me show you where they go:
Before you combine your packages it is always a good idea to run them through Delphy's Dashboard and the Rig Fix tool.  This will ensure that you do not have corrupted packages.  The Dashboard will sometimes tell you that there is a conflict amongst some packages, I tend to combine these in different .dbc files instead of having them combined in one, it works perfectly!
 All your combine .dbc packages will go here. (DCCAche)  The overrides folder is for those mods that override scripts, they are not combined!  The only thing you may combine are CAS parts, Building materials, decor, hair, skins, makeup, clothes, patterns; you get it.  I myself, combine packages by what they are: all the skins, all the make up in another and so on...
My package Folder is subdivided further into other folders like: Defaults, Test, etc.  It organizes my downloads and it makes it easier to remove a package that I do not like or that is giving problems, or even at the time of applying a new patch I know exactly where to look for the files that need updating.   The pacakages sub-folder should look like this and you may add additional sub-folders:
I hope this helps.  I am also including a MOD folder download already set up for you-all to download with the resource file included here:
Media Fire
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntwppwvp8ev25ea




No comments:

Post a Comment